1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the pasta and salt and cook until al dente, 8 to 10 minutes. Scoop out 1/4 cup of the pasta cooking water and then drain the pasta in a colander.
2. Rinse the pasta under cold running water for a minute or two to chill the noodles. Give them a few shakes to remove the excess water and set aside.
3. Heat the sesame oil in a large, deep nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook, stirring often, until golden brown on all sides and cooked through, about 8 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate and set aside.
4. Add the ginger and garlic to the pan and cook, stirring often, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in the peanut butter, honey, soy sauce, red-pepper flakes, and reserved pasta cooking water and cook until creamy, about 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms, bell pepper, and zucchini. Cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are tender, 2 to 3 minutes.
Easy-Peasy Peanut Whole Wheat Spaghetti with Chicken
From Candice Kumai and the National Pasta Association
1/2 pound whole wheat spaghetti
1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
3/4 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-wide strips
1 1/2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
3 garlic cloves, finely minced
Heaping 1/4 cup creamy natural peanut butter
3 tablespoons honey
3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
3/4 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
1 cup sliced shiitake mushroom caps or 1/2 cup dried shiitake mushrooms soaked in boiling water for 5 minutes, drained, and chopped
1 red bell pepper, halved and thinly sliced
1 large zucchini, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
3 scallions, cut into strips
5. Stir in the cooked chicken and drained noodles and serve sprinkled with the scallions.
Makes 4 Servings.
Per Serving: 536 calories, 14 g fat (2 g saturated, 0 g trans), 35 g protein, 11 g fiber, 20 g sugars, 962 mg sodium, 72 g carbohydrates, 49 mg cholesterol
For more great spaghetti recipes go to: